Monday 8 August 2016

Slow road back

When you've given everything for your "A race" it's not easy to get back to training especially when you are being careful and recovering properly.  It's now 5 weeks and I've started to adventure back out.  On Wednesday last week I went for my 2nd run but I had to force myself out of the door - mentally I didn't want to go through the pain.  The good news is my heart rate fell from the previous run and I didn't suffer the DOMS in the following two days.
I was away in London the next two days but on Saturday went out on my bike.  That was a lot tougher than I thought it would be.  My heart rate was racing and I was struggling with my breath on the hills.  Fortunately I met a pal who dragged me home for the 2nd half of the ride but in total it was only 1.5 hours!
This tells me my body is still fatigued but that I also need to get back into a regular training programme.  On Sunday morning I attended a new yoga class for an hour.  It was tough but in a good way.  I think my body really appreciated the workout and this is definitely going to be part of my training to get me ready for the Grand Canyon in 2017 www.g2gultra.com .
Come September I will have a training plan scoped out as this is when I work best.  Having goals written down and monitored by a third party who I am accountable to gets the best out of me but for now I'll ease my way back into training.  And before I forget how to swim, I'll be getting back into a loch while the water is warm enough and back this up with some pool training.  It will be a slow road back but improving my strength and flexibility is a priority and will help reduce my chances of injury.

No comments:

Post a Comment