Sunday 13 November 2016

1+1=3

My training plan starts in January but between now and then I am slowly getting back to exercise if nothing else than to halt the expanding waste line!  16 pounds gained in 4 months.  Some say I look healthier but carrying the surplus weight around is not my idea of fun.  Yesterday I looked out a picture I'd taken the night before ironman as I was putting on my number tattoo.  I looked in top condition but I know I'll get back to this shape when the real training kicks in and my diet gets back to normal.
Yesterday 3 of my team mates joined me for the usual Chatelherault run.  What a difference it makes to have company when you are training.  It motivates you to perform at a higher level which leads to better results.  As long as you agree on the objective before you start I.e. No racing and a level pace then everyone benefits.  We kept the pace steady but in the last kilometre began to increase it slightly - no something I'd find easy to do if on my own.  In the end a very satisfactory training run and in the months to come the 10k will extend to 20 & 30k and I'll be wearing a weighted rucksack.  Before that I will have to work on my core strength but I'm limited just now because of my shoulder injury.
Today I went out with my coach for a longer pacier road run.  It's a tough undulating route which is 13k.  Doing back to back runs helps because you get used to running on tired legs which is something I need to train for.  In the canyon I'll be running 6 days in a row so it's something I need to get my mind prepared for.  That's right, my mind and not my body.  The mind always gives up before the body because it has an inbuilt safety switch which is set way to easy and you need to learn to ignore it.  But even today on a couple of the long inclines my mind was saying it would be nice walk for a short while which obviously I will do in the canyon.  But not on a 13k run.  Having company also stops you from taking it easy and in the last km she put in a couple of short bursts to make sure I didn't relax.
I believe training with the right partners who have similar objectives for the session will bring out the best in everyone hence 1+1=3.  If your training partners are going to fast as they are training for a 10k when you are training for a marathon, then find someone who's goals are more aligned.  Happy training folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment