Sunday 5 February 2017

It's a start

Hopefully this recently medically orientated blog is now going to get back to what is is there for.  To show how an ordinary guy with a goal to raise money for Maggie's Cancer Caring Centre, can take on extra ordinary challenges - hopefully this will inspire others to extend their comfort zone and go for it. When the doubters, and there have been a few, thought I'd "bitten off more than I could chew" that just spurred me on.  I've even been accused of "showing off" by some - believe me there are a lot easier ways to show off than busting a gut 6 days a week in all weather conditions.
The last three weeks have seen my laid up with a chest infection.  Climbing the stairs had my gasping for breath.  But on Friday I started to feel better so I headed off to the gym with my pals for a light workout.  I started with the bike then weights then boxing - yes boxing, that's where this crazy journey started in 2008.  It also reminded me how fit you have to be to do some simple bag work.  I finished off on the bike and my heart rate had got to 148 and I hadn't started coughing so that was a positive sign.
Today I was so excited to pull on my running shoes and head out into the countryside for a 7.5km run.   I plugged my music in and off I went.  I could immediately feel my legs protesting after the gym but it was my lungs I was concerned with.  My heart rate was too high but that was to be expected.  It was a cold but dry day and it made me realise how much I had taken for granted the privilege of being able to run.  It's such a good feeling to get cleaned up afterwards and fed so I can now relax and recover.  My chest is now letting me know that this was an effort with a niggly cough starting but I think it will settle down.  I'm taking tomorrow off training but will be back on Tuesday as I build up the base level of my fitness.  With 230 days to go I need to maximise the benefit from every training session to be ready to complete my goal in the Grand Canyon while raising money for Maggies.  I launched my just giving page last week and someone I met while running the Highland Fling in 2014 was the first to donate with £500 - incredible generosity which has got me off to a flying start as I am aiming to raise £10,000.  I will be paying my own costs so everything raised is going to Maggies.  To donate go to www.justgiving.com/Derek-Stewart6.
Today is just a start of my return to fitness, but it feels good so bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment