Sunday 9 July 2017

Run, Trek, Walk, Crawl - whatever it takes

I think the title of this blog sums up my mindset and I am sure I will be repeating it to myself over the next 76 days when I'll be standing on the startline of the Grand 2 Grand 170 mile race.  But early on Monday morning, 1am, I was awake wondering if I should postpone the race for a year as I won't be reaching the startline with the mileage in my legs.  This race is going to be tougher than MdS.  It's 35 miles longer, has more ascending and descending, variable weather conditions and let's not forget I'm 4 years older.  I needed to make a decision before booking flights and accommodation so I decided to wait till I'd had my physio on Tuesday and see how my running went this week.  The good news is I have no more hamstring pain and all my running this week has gone well.
As a result today I committed by booking the flights and the accommodation - ouch £££!  In total I'll be away for 3 weeks and once the race is finished my wife will join me on a luxury holiday in the area finishing up in Las Vegas.  Just the thought of that alone should get me through the pain I will undoubtably suffer during the race.  If it's anything like MdS then I'll experience "heaven and hell" on the same day!
Now some serious planning is required.  The training plan is in place and I'm going to be having regular physio to make sure the chance of injury is reduced.  I'm upping my food intake as I could do with a few extra pounds.  I've been researching rucksacks as it is such an important item that could make or break your run as I'll be carrying in the region of 12 kilos. On MdS my rucksac's shoulder straps were too narrow and cut into my shoulders causing a lot of pain.  I need to buy a lot of equipment and also test out my freeze dried food.  Unfortunately the company that I used last time have gone bust which is a shame because their food was good.  So some tasting to be done To be confident that I like the food and that it has the  right calories and mix of carbs, protein and fat.
My focus is definitely beginning to narrow as the time ticks away.  I will be blocking out any negative thoughts or doubts because in the end this will be done whether I need to Run, Trek, Walk or Crawl!

No comments:

Post a Comment